Diploma in Professional English programme is introduced by the Centre for Open and Distance Learning, University of Jaffna. This course has been designed to suit all the professionals employed in various professional contexts and the non-professionals seeking employment. This programme is supposed to promote their career uplift through developing English Language competencies and thereby they could enhance their competencies and capabilities in the field of profession. The programme mainly focuses on most of the key aspects of professional practices and dynamics of communication with the aim of enhancing the ability of professionals. Professionals of different fields with high competency in English Language are the global demand at present. Recent awareness in Sri Lanka and its national plan for a trilingual society further demand for higher level competency in English language among professionals as a means of ethnic reconciliation and achievement of global standards in the field of profession.
To fulfill this goal, it is important to increase the number of appropriate English language users in all the areas and also professionals to use English simultaneously. Therefore, the Centre for Open and Distance Learning, University of Jaffna offers a Diploma in professional English programme designed by the Department of English Language Teaching for professionals in different fields with the intention of minimizing the problem of language issues of professionals in public and private sectors.
|Justification on the Study Programme|
The present propensity among the professionals in different working environment is to follow a Diploma in Professional English programme, as they feel that it would enhance employment opportunities and their professional uplift in their career. Our experience reveals that it is strongly believed that Diploma in Professional English programme will equip the professionals to have a comprehensive knowledge and skills of the field, which in turn would help solve the dearth of qualified English professionals in the Island.
|Objectives of the Study Programme|
- Equip with English language proficiency to fulfill their day-to-day professional and higher educational requirements
- Broaden with advanced proficiency in English language structure, technical writing advanced reading skill, business communication and presentation skills to perform confidently in any practical situations that require a higher degree of fluency, accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness.
- To promote adequate and uniformed proficiency level in English language to encounter the global and national demands in their respective fields,
- To develop Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills (BICS) and abilities in English and make them conversant in the language,
- To promote all the basic language skills: reading, listening, writing and speaking,
- To foster adequate necessary proficiency in English so as to make them employable
- To increase the number of professionals with English Language via a Diploma in Professional English course which in turn is expected to minimise the acute dearth of English qualified professionals in the Island
|Programme Delivery and Learner Support System|
The programme will be conducted by the Centre for Open and Distance Learning (CODL), University of Jaffna. The lectures of the Diploma programme will be provided by the Department of English Language Teaching. Since the programme is conducted during the weekends, staff attached to the department will be employed. The Diploma programme will be delivered using blended teaching and learning methods to assure the students centred teaching and learning strategies to promote independent learning. The delivery of the programme includes face to face interactive lessons, presentations, and tutorials writing. In order to enhance an efficient programme delivery, learner support system will be formed by providing well-equipped lecture halls, use of educational technology in the field of ELT, various teaching and learning tools and aids, this learner support system will provide the students an opportunity for developing various skills needed for their profession.[fruitful_tabs type=”accordion” width=”100%” fit=”false”] [fruitful_tab title=”COURSE CONTENT “] The Name of the Diploma Department of English Language Teaching offers the Diploma in Professional English Course of one academic year duration as part-time. Medium of Instruction English Course Structure The Diploma in Professional English programme is based on credit valued course unit system. Volume of Learning and SLQF Level The duration of the Diploma in Professional English programme is two semesters based on part-time and the volume of learning of the programme amounts to 30 credits which meets the SLQF 3 (minimum requirement of 30 credits). The Part-time Program contains two semesters each of 15 weeks duration per course unit. Curriculum Layout of Diploma in Professional English Programme The Diploma in Professional English programme is composed of 10 course units. The details are summarized in here. Curriculum Layout of Diploma in Professional English programme
|Status of Course Units||Semester 1||Semester 2||Credits Earned|
|Course Code||Title||Credit Value|
|DPEC 1013||Language structure usage||(45:03 Credits)|
|DPEC 1023||Basic Reading skills and Vocabulary development||(45:03 Credits)|
|DPEC 1033||Introduction to Professional Writing I||(45:03 Credits)|
|DPEC 1043||Basic Communication Skills||(45:03 Credits)|
|DPEC 1052||Basic Listening Skills||(30:02 Credits)|
|Course Code||Title||Credit Value|
|DPEC 2013||Advanced Language Structure usage||(45:03 Credits)|
|DPEC 2023||Advanced Reading Skills and Vocabulary Development||(45:03 Credits)|
|DPEC 2033||Professional Writing II||(60:04 Credits)|
|DPEC 2043||Advanced and Technology Based Communication Skills||(60:04 Credits)|
|DPEC 2052||Advanced Listening Skills||(30:02 Credits)|
|Range of Marks||Grades||Grade Point Values(GPV)|
|80 – >||A+||4.00|
|75 – 79||A||4.00|
|70 – 74||A-||3.70|
|65 – 69||B+||3.30|
|60 – 64||B||3.00|
|55 – 59||B-||2.70|
|50 – 54||C+||2.30|
|45 – 49||C||2.00|
|40 – 44||C-||1.70|
|35 – 39||D+||1.30|
|30 – 34||D||1.00|
|< – 29||E||0.00|
- 15 hours of the lectures and tutorials are equivalent to 01 credit which is equivalent to 50 notional hours.
- The contact hours for a core course unit are 30 hrs. (30 hrs. lectures and tutorials).
- All the courses are considered as compulsory core units irrespective of their credit values.